How is Water Important for Joint Health?
Drink water. Keep your joints healthy!
June 23rd is National Hydration Day and we want to tell you why drinking water is important for joint health.
According to the Arthritis Foundation, “if there’s a magical elixir you can drink, it’s water. Hydration is vital for flushing toxins out of your body, which can help fight inflammation. Adequate water intake can help keep your joints well lubricated and prevent gout attacks.”
Importance of Water For Your Body
Water helps keep your joints hydrated. The synovial fluid which helps lubricate joints is made up primarily of water. When your body is dehydrated, it pulls water from cartilage and other areas- wreaking havoc on your joints.
How Much Water Should You Drink Per Day?
Drinking water also flushes toxins helping with inflammation. According to The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, an adequate daily fluid intake is:
- About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids for men
- About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women
These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages, and food. About 20 percent of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks. So, don’t forget your fruits and vegetables which contain a lot of water too! According to WebMD.com, Fruits, and vegetables like cucumbers, iceberg lettuce, celery, and watermelon is over 90% water. They also provide a variety of different vitamins and minerals. Refreshing!
Other Health Benefits of Drinking Water
Why We Love staying Hydrated
- BOOSTS ENERGY– Drink water to feel energized and healthy. Dehydration can cause feelings of exhaustion by decreasing oxygen to the brain and making it harder for your heart to pump blood. Your joints feel better and you can simply move better!
- BOOSTS BRAIN FUNCTION- studies show that drinking water helps with depression and mood, not to mention the clarity of mind and cognitive function. Studies show dehydration also leads to increased cortisol- the stress hormone, aiding in increased anger, irritability, and a negative mood.
- BOOSTS OVERALL HEALTH-. Water also helps with the appearance of healthy skin by flushing toxins and helping with circulation (blood flow). Increased water in skin cells leads to fewer wrinkles. It also aids in purifying the kidneys and helping control blood pressure. Your body is two-thirds water, and it is vital to every organ in the body.
*TIP TO DRINKING WATER- start your day with a glass of water while you make your coffee. You’re already starting off on the right track! Carry your favorite reusable water bottle with you- you’ll be more inclined to drink from your favorite bottle!