Ask An Orthopedist: Degenerative Arthritis

Calendar January 3, 2017

Question: In the past 4-5 years, I’ve had knee debridement and cervical bulging discs. I just recently found out I have a partially torn tendon in my wrist and cartilage degeneration in my wrist of my dominant hand. My main concern is how often I’m hearing that I have degenerating cartilage or meniscus. Am I doing something to cause this to happen?  I feel like I need a doctor who can monitor this, but all orthopedists are specialized in such small areas. Do you have any suggestions as to where I can turn to get help?

Degenerative arthritis is a disease process that affects the entire body. A large portion of it is probably genetically determined, so you are likely not “doing” anything to cause this. Not all orthopedists are sub-specialists, but the non-surgical management of these problems may be best handled either by a physical medicine specialist – a non-surgical orthopedist, if you will – or a rheumatologist – an arthritis specialist.

Have a question for one of our orthopedic surgeons? Click here to submit a question.

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 4.44.57 PM



Learn More About Azalea Orthopedics


Ask An Orthopedist









Tyler, TX (Golden Rd)

Tyler, TX (Donnybrook Ave)

Tyler, TX (South Broadway Ave)

Athens, TX

Jacksonville, TX

Longview, TX

Mount Pleasant, TX

Nacogdoches, TX

Palestine, TX

Pittsburg, TX





Share this on: